About the PMI-ACP Exam and Certification
Welcome to the world of the Agile Certified Professional (PMI-ACP)!
At its heart, the project management and implementation standards
developed by the Project Management Institute (PMI) are relied on by organizations
across the globe. The most fundamental method of demonstrating your understanding
of PMI's approach to Agile methodologies is by achieving the PMI-ACP certification.
Since 2011, the PMI-ACP certification has grown to become one of the most sought
after industry credentials for an Agile Certified Practitioner in project management.
PMI-ACP Exam Facts and Updates
What is the current version of the PMI-ACP exam? The current PMI-ACP exam
was put into affect on March 26, 2018 and reflects the PMI's Agile Practice Guide, along with eleven other reference texts that can be found on PMI's website.
Does the courseware offered through PMTraining reflect the latest PMI-ACP exam?
Yes. All PMI-ACP exam prep content, courseware, and classes offered through
PMTraining reflect the latest PMI-ACP exam put in to place on March 26, 2018.
PMI-ACP Exam Format
- 120 total multiple choice questions
- 20 randomly placed "pretest" questions test the validity of future questions and
do not affect the score
- All exams are administered via Computer Based Testing (CBT) with paper testing allowed
under limited circumstances
- Students will have 3 hours to complete the exam
- There are no scheduled breaks during the exam
- Exams are scored on a pass-fail basis
- PMI does not publish the passing score, but it is assumed to be in the range of
PMI-ACP Exam Topics
The PMI-ACP exam is broken down into two distinct areas: "Agile tools and techniques"
and "Agile knowledge and skills". Both of these general exam topics contain more
granular topic areas, as indicated in the table below.
Agile tools and techniques
50% of exam
Planning, Monitoring, and Adapting
Agile analysis and design
Value based prioritization
Agile knowledge and skills
50% of exam
30+ Knowledge and Skill areas
50% of exam
Who Should get PMI-ACP Certified?
As Agile methodologies become more widely adopted across industries, the need for
certified and qualified project managers will grow.
The PMI-ACP certification may appeal to the following types of professionals:
- Professionals who use agile practices in projects
- Team members whose organization has adopted, or is planning to adopt, an agile approach
- Managers who wish to broaden their knowledge and versatility as a project manager
- Professionals who need to adapt more quickly to basic business needs
- Managers looking to apply a value-driven and people-driven approach to projects
- Those who want to further advance their professional career path as a project manager
PMI-ACP Exam Eligibility Criteria
Professionals who are eligible to take the PMI-ACP certification exam must meet
the following PMI-ACP eligibility requirements and PMP-ACP experience:
- Education Level:Secondary Degree (High School or Equivalent) or higher
- General Project Experience: 2000 Hours (a minimum of 12 Months)
working on project teams earned within the past 5 years.*
- Agile Project Experience:1500 hours (a minimum of 8 months) working
on agile project teams or in agile methodologies within the last 3 years.
- Training PMI-ACP Requirement:21 PMI Contact Hours in agile practices
- Maintaining Your Certification: Student must earn 30 PDUs every
3 years in agile practices
Students may apply to take the PMI-ACP exam directly on
Become an agile certified practitioner today!